Saturday, August 6, 2011

I recommend...

A few weeks ago our church had Pastors Ashley and Jane Evans from Adelaide, Australia in for a Sunday morning service. Pastor Ashley preached and I quickly noticed his pretty wife and eight year old son in tow. They pastor a thriving church in South Australia called Paradise Community Church.

After a powerful message delivered by Pastor Ashley and a short word given from his wife we had the privilege of having lunch with them along with some of our other staff members. I was seated by Jane and her charming and inviting accent made it rather easy to talk to her. I learned quickly she was real, down to earth and must love people. After seeing her converse with her son (who was so well behaved you wouldn't believe it!) a few times I concluded if I could be like any mom let me be like her. She was so calm, respectful and knew her son's character so well. She knew just how to respond to him, encourage him and stay patient with him.

About a week ago I found a gift wrapped in white wrapping paper (love that) tied with a black bow and a card underneath on my husband's desk. It was for me. I opened it and it was a copy of her book (which I didn't even know she had written) called Raising Children Without Going Insane. I totally recommend this book for any parent or person who works closely with parents.

Not only is it full of transparent struggles as a mom of three boys it is an encouraging read with highlights of many of their victorious triumphs. She addresses some difficult topics such as; disciplining, parenting the strong willed child (you better believe I did some underlining in that chapter!), seeing the gifts in your children placed there by God and so many more.

It's really amazing how God is using so many books on parenting to help me along in this journey called motherhood. I hope this book may help some of you too!

No comments: