Monday, August 8, 2011

Proud

I just finished Raising Children by Jane Evans. I am still reading Brining Up Boys and because parenting is constantly calling my name these books are showing me multiple opportunities to correct, praise, love, nurture, comfort and discipline my little ones.

I have had two VERY good days with my son. I don't think it's him that has changed a bit I think it has been my disciplining skills, patience and boldness to not back down.

I must share this morning's moment that had me oh so proud! By 9 a.m. I had been to the grocery store, put a roast in the slow cooker (pray it turns out!), arranged fresh flowers on the table and fed the kids breakfast. I realized rather quickly that our little lady would barely touch her breakfast. Something MUST be terribly wrong. This kid eats more than me!

Her head hung low, her eyes were heavy and yep, she had a fever. Don't you hate it!? This is such a difficult age for a kid to have a fever! Because they can't tell you the other symptoms. Mario and I stood over her as she laid very still on the couch and I felt a little hand grab mine. It was Dalen. She very confidently said, "Let's pray about this!" Mario and I agreed and led the prayer. I can't remember it all but I do remember he started the prayer off with thanks and ended with thanks. Right in the middle of his prayer about "making bad pain go gone" he burped louder than he ever has! Immediately, my eyes opened wide and met with Mario's. We struggled not to laugh and Dalen didn't miss a word.

It was one of those moments where he totally didn't mean burp it just came out. I was very proud of us for not stopping the prayer and correcting him when he obviously didn't mean to do it. I am proud he knows who to call on when someone is sick. I am proud he starts with thanks, because we do indeed have SOOOO much to be thankful for. I am proud he cares for his sister.

No comments: