Monday, June 27, 2011

Methods of a Mindful Mother



Yesterday, was somewhat of a tailspin. Sundays are especially hectic and stressful. You need laying on of hands before you are ever out of the door, especially when there are four of you to bathe, dress, feed and (many of you won't understand this) fix hair. Trust me afros and curls take a lot of taming!


Since my son's birth I feel like I have been sprinting to a finish line that doesn't exist. I've been on the track of motherhood which isn't a competition and I haven't allowed myself to slow down and enjoy my kids enough. I've been sprinting through our days as a family trying every method, soaking in every word of advice and listening to all the critics give me less than a perfect 10.


Yesterday morning was one of those days. You wake up feeling defeated before you ever attempt to fight to make it out the door. One of my children was having a particularly difficult morning. They didn't want to go to nursery, didn't want to sit in service, didn't want their mom and once they had their dad he didn't do the trick either. Somedays your children just have to do what they have to do. They can't have their way everyday. However, as an adult I can attest sometimes we just don't feel like doing certain things and there can be a plethera of reasons why-illness, fear, anxiety, hestitation, exhaustion, and then sometimes we are just plain lazy and stubborn.


Every child is different! There is no one method or remedy, no magic in a wand only a prayer in my mouth always that I will choose the right thing to do. Just when I think I have decoded how to deal with my children the method fails me and I am on to the next. I learned yesterday I need to do a lot less trying and a lot more praying.


I am tired of wondering what Mother Hen or Mother Goose (you get the point) would do with my children. If they had the answer my children would have hatched from their eggs not birthed from my womb. God entrusted me with my children for a reason and I think it's because I have EXACTLY what I need to raise well balanced adults.


So walk in confidence that you too have whatever it takes to raise a great kid, succeed a prosperous business or teach a class of capable individuals....whereever you are in life God is equipping you. Stop trying and start praying!

2 comments:

Mario Hood said...

Great post and your a great mother!

Mario Hood said...

Great post and your a Great Mother!