Saturday, July 9, 2011

Bringing Up Boys

Have you ever read it? Bringing Up Boys by James Dobson? It was brought to my attention a few weeks ago after mentioning a few challenging surprises I am dealing with concerning Dalen. I ordered it on Half.com and it was patiently waiting for me in my mailbox today.

Although, I had heard of the book and class a long time ago I never read it or attended the class but I am excited to read some interesting and challenging concepts of raising my boy to be a well rounded man.

I am not sure it was my naivety or the fact I come from an entire family of girls (literally, even our family pet was female) that make me feel so lost when dealing with my son but I can honestly say there have been some pretty distinct challenges for us lately.

I guess I was more hesitant about my girl because girls are the dramatic, hormonal, moody, needy, co-dependent, more expensive and high maintenance ones, right? Without going into explicit detail I have been blindsided. I thought the most concern I would ever have for my son is teaching him farting in public was ilmannered and that you must wear clothes around your sister and that jumping out of trees calls for expensive co-pays due to fractured arms or worse.

I got this book because obviously I have been so wrong, unprepared and a little confused at times. Are any of you surprised at gender differences? Have any of you read the book? Any tips?

No comments: