Monday, December 22, 2008

Boys at Belk

If I want to look at my retail experience in a positive way, I will just think back to the last two nights I have worked at Belk. Anytime a male comes in with his wife's wish list you can go ahead and mark him a future blog. A couple nights ago that I worked, they put me in accessories and handbags. I also have to watch over lingerie (super hilarious and disturbing at times).
Sorry for all you Dooney, Coach and Gucci carriers but there is just something that totally irks me about women who will drop $300 on a purse. Can I just say rediculous? My first story stems from expensive purses.
A man and his two sons were shopping around at Dooneys. It's a REALLY big deal if you sell one b-c they cost so much and there were a few on sale. This man obviously stuck to the clearance Dooneys. He calls me over and the three of them circle around me. I felt like I was at a secret club meeting. Very softly the dad holds up the Dooney and says is this considered a purse. Trying not to laugh I respond yes. All three males lean in together practically right in my face and the oldest son says no dad. Mom said she wanted a handbag. I just kinda smile because this was a cute and innocent comment of a 12 year old that didn't know any better. The dad finally moves away and says well, ok where are your handbags ma'am? LOL! HYSTERICAL!
I didn't even have to question if this man was being serious....he totally had no clue that handbag means purse. I politely said they are the same thing. He decided to go with the on sale Dooney for $122.00. I got to thinking that could buy but 4-100 count cases of diapers! It could probably fill from car up from empty about 4 times!
So now, here comes the part that really just irks me. Let me just state...I am aware that a lot of people have a lot more money than me but I will make it clear....I don't care if I were a millionaire I would never spend hundreds of $$$s on a purse! I just think its obserd. So an older lady probably in her early 60s approaches with tons of stuff. She hands me all stuff for herself 1st. She never asks the price of any of it. Lastly, she cautiously hands me a Dooney that was probably close to $300. She explains she is Christmas shopping but couldn't resist these items for herself. I tell her the total and she says ok that leaves X amount for everyone else which probably means I will have to put back a lot of what I got for the kiddos! GRRRR!!!! How selfish! I begin to ring up clothes and stuff for I guess her grandkids and she asks me everytime I scan something how much it is. Not one item she picked for other people was over $9 and they were all red dot which means they were an additionl 40% off. Literally she stood debating which one of her grandkids stuff to put back so she could sport some stupid purse that may I add was NOT even cute! Finally she pays with her Premiere Belk charge card (which qualifies a customer for free gift wrap.) She tells me she wants the stuff gift wrap and I begin putting the kids clothes in boxes and she says oh no, the kids stuff will be put in bags...but the things I got will need to be wrapped! Ladies and gents I almost totally lost it on her. She proceeds to yip yap right over my shoulder the whole time I am wrapping and tells me the fun of Christmas is acting surprised at her gifts "from her husband." What a brat.
My last story for this post....
A man comes in with his daughter. He is looking for a bra. A very specific bra: nude, style #1080 and in size 36 D. (Side note: don't EVER send your hubby to get you a bra! So rediculous. Bra sizes confuse me and I am a woman so imagine a poor man in the middle of holiday shopping trying to rummage thru a million bras for a specific color, style and size.) He explains to me he can't find anything but a 36 DD. I explain to him DD is very different than D. He looks at me kinda confused and says wait a minute. She is double. I couldn't help but to laugh. I didn't know if the man meant he thought she was double big or had two boobs instead of one. I didn't ask either. I simply left him with the advice of if your wife said she is D get D because DD is different.
I kinda feel bad writing about these innocent men trying their best. But they do make my job fun.

No comments: