Thursday, December 25, 2008

One We Will ALL Remember

My mom's living room is cluttered with opened gifts. A few random pieces of wrapping paper are scattered about on my mom's newly laid carpet. All I can think is wow. Another Christmas has come and gone. This year is one we surely we never forget...EVER.
Christmas Eve is the same EVERY year. We gather at my mom's house and eat chili, play games and act crazy. However, just as we sat down for chili Olivia vomited. EVERYWHERE. After about an hour we all realized it wasn't just something she ate. It was indeed a virus. She puked over and over and over. It was the most pitiful thing ever. My grandmother left at 7:30 before games and fun. It's our first year without her husband. She wasn't in the game playing mood. In fear of becoming sick again this season Mario and I gathered our stuff and headed home last night.
I woke myself just in time to shower and be ready to go back to my mom's when I got a call saying Olivia had been at the hospital all night with her parents. She had the latest bug that has gone around. Our family surely has endured hospitalizations this year. My mom insisted we all still get together to open gifts. Though I thought it was not a wise idea here we are. All presents have been opened, tree lights glisten and my dads snoring seranades my typing. Everyone is asleep...but me. My mom is literally asleep sitting up. She occaisonally teeters with Olivia on her shoulder. I am so hoping she catches herself just in time before teetering off her favorite chair.
My mind just can't help but to wonder. I wonder what Christmas would be like if our family hadn't experienced a miracle in Meredith's life. What would this year be like if my grandfather were here? What is he doing right this moment? Does Heaven recognize today as Christmas? Does Jesus get a birthday cake?
This year, as I watch Dalen snooze away in holiday penguin pajamas, I am just so thankful for life. I am so thankful I got to watch my baby climb up in his new rocking chair and rock away. I'm glad I got to give my parents a nice gift card to go out and eat. I am glad my husband is loyal to me and our baby.
Life. It comes and goes quickly. I am so glad I get to share my life with Dalen and Mario.

No comments: