Monday, August 16, 2010

Little doors



As a mom, I have finally realized that little doors create BIG moments in the minds and hearts of our little ones. I am fully aware of the fact that all moms have their own systems and ways of introducing their little ones to spiritual essentials. I refuse to let little doors of curiosity stay open, only for the world to enter in and inform my son of things I should tell him. I don't believe my son is ready to hear everything in the world pertaining to life and spirituality but I do NOT think that two is too young to begin a few basic introductions to things he is becoming curious about.

Today my son saw my with a notebook and Bible on my bed. The baby was sleeping heavily beside me and I was studying for tomorrow night's message. My son very quietly (wow, that's rare) climbed up on my bed, got right in my face (HUGE pet peeve) and asked, "What you doing?"

Me: "I'm studying. Want to pray for me?"
D: YEP!
So I close my eyes, hold his hand and he begins to make a bunch of sounds that I am sure I have heard in an altar somewhere but where he got the sounds I am not sure. So I wait until he says amen and carefully walk through that little open door.

Me: What were you saying in the prayer to God?
D: You know, Mom!
Me: No I don't or I wouldn't ask. You were making some noises at the beginning but they weren't words.
D: confused and silent
Me: Did you hear someone doing that during a time of prayer?
D: Yes
Me: That's called speaking in tongues. Do you know what that means?
D: No what is it?
Me: It's when God helps you talk to him with words that only he understands.
D: Oh, like this?

D begins making the sounds again while smiling.

Me: It may sound like that or it may sound differently but the only time you do speak is tongues is it you are being helped by God.
D: Oh ok.

Runs off and plays in my room and suitcase. Not much time passes & I hear him doing it again.

Me: D?? (I look at him like he owes me an explanation)
D: What, mom?? I was being helped!!

Wow, of course I didn't expect him to comprehend the whole talk and I was super sensitive to the thought that I surely don't want him thinking he will be in trouble when the time does come for him to have that real experience so I left it alone and felt satisfied that he was introduced to what the sounds are and the appropriate time to use them.

Our pastor is an AMAZING man of God. I just cannot ever make it through a day where I don't experience feelings of blessing at the thought that we get to learn from a man so brilliant, experienced and well known. His wife is amazing as well. He LOVES kids and Dalen is his buddy. His show airs on TBN weekly and Dalen just loves to watch him. He thinks he is preaching right at that moment at our church and actually sits quietly while he speaks. He thinks its super exciting when Bishop looks right at the lens and laughs and says, "He's looking at me!" Dalen already has a love for God and church and a respect for the leaders God has ordained over us.

To all the mom...don't fear the little open doors. They are open because you are welcome right on in.

No comments: