Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Processed

Wow, what a week for our nation. Devastating storms, families left with nothing and the death of Bin Laden. To be honest I feel as though my brain is in a current state of processed mush. I haven't even seen the devastation in person but the pictures and stories are enough. My heart is moved and my mind just can't fathom what these vicious storms did to my hometown and so many other places as well.

I have to say loud and proud, I have some AMAZING friends and churches and family members back home who have literally volunteered day in and day out. I must be very clear I know Heaven is moved when we comfort those who have lost, feed those who are hungry and clothe those who are naked. To any volunteers reading, you are great examples of Christ. Bless you all.

I woke up to the news about the death of Bin Laden and I quickly learned why people say I don't talk about politics. Wow, I couldn't believe the anger felt by some and the victory by others. Such extreme spectrums! I will say this, when I saw hundreds gathered at ground zero at midnight saying the pledge and waving American flags I literally got chills and pride rose within me. Do I celebrate death, no. Do I celebrate justice, OF COURSE! And sometimes justice involves fatalities.

I do not like some of the things I have heard said by Christians and non Christians. I don't like when people say we should have grace towards Bin Laden, as if we didn't. HELLO???? I think him dying a very short death compared to the suffering many of our American citizens endured and are still enduring is VERY GRACIOUS. I will say this grace and justice can coexsist and it did on that day.

I also don't like when Christians exaggerate to make a point. If you have to exaggerate scripture to make a point you don't have a point at all. Then there are the Christians who ranted we aren't the ones who should judge Ben Laden's punishment but then they turn right around and predict because of American officials he is in Hell. I think that's judgement. How do any of us know he didn't come to senses and breath one last prayer?

And of course we have all heard of the argument, it was sheer ignorance to take this man's life because now we will endure more attacks and terrorism will never end. So, we should just let any country cross our borders and do whatever they darn well please with no consequences???? I don't think so. We rejoice when a rapist is sentenced, not because the sentencing of one individual will stop rape but because justice has been done and the victim can live somewhat in peace. How is this any different?

I think Stephen Furtick said it best, "I unapologetically celebrate multitudes of people who will live because of the death of one man. That is good-THAT is victory."

I AM proud to be an American.

No comments: