Saturday, June 13, 2009

Loving Day '09

Mildred and Richard

Yesterday was Loving Day. I am sure every reader is wondering what in the world is that?! If you would like to read the complete story go here (be ready to be inspired by strength and love) but for those of you who want the quick version its a celebratory day celebrating the legalization of interracial marriage. I have always acknowledged the day but 2009 is the first year we have celebrated it as a family. We will continue to every year.
Yesterday began at the doctor's office with Dalen. He had to see the ear, nose and throat doctor and we found out he has to have his adnoids removed and tubes in his ears. Not a great start but we didn't let that keep us from having a great day as a family. After the doctor Dalen napped for a while and we had lunch as a family. Then we went to the movies to see Imagine That (great family movie!). Dalen enjoyed ritz bitz and mini oreos during the show.
For us being able to share everyday life as a family, celebrates history. Our family is rich in a historic way I value and treasure. To be honest, unless someone becomes curious and asks questions about our racial difference I don't think about it much just as you probably never look at your spouse or family and think,"Oh, they are white or black or hispanic." But I am proud of what we are, who we are and the history of strength that backs us to be legally married.
So to my family and yours-Happy Loving Day! (one day late)
PS-I will soon began special blogposts entitled Under The Influence. The influence I am referring to is hormones during pregnancy. So brace yourselves as you laugh and I probably cry. COMING SOON!

1 comment:

Abigail said...

How great is Loving Day! What a precious concept! =)