Monday, June 8, 2009

Twirps

This week my mom asked me to help her with her summer camp that she is in charge of for her county. Obviously, we are in desperate need of money and even though I have had to get up at 5:30 a.m. I was up for the challenge....and pay.



Please understand my mother's kids are in the Horizon Program (for advanced learners a.k.a. know-it-alls). To be pretty honest-to be considered "brainsy" they have not displayed smartness. First thing this morning the biggest problem child at the camp was scolded by me for licking the trash can...literally he is one of those who are "too smart for his own good."



Here are a few highlights of the week so far...



A young boy with feathered bangs, ironed and starched shorts swears he is allergic to mud. "Uh-huh," I responded. "No really! I am!" This was brought to our attention right after he was assigned to an outdoor class called "Let's Get Dirty". It was obvious this was NOT his cup of tea. They did things like chisel rocks to find fossils-he hit his thumb with a hammer-I promise we will never hear the end of his "pain". I kindly explained it hasn't rained lately so there won't be any mud out...mud and dirt are different, aren't they?



Sorry to all you only children readers but he is the poster child for an only child. He's the kind who doesn't want siblings so they can have their mommy all to themselves. The kind who have their mommy pack a lunch because the previous days snack didn't have enough "nutritional value". Yea he said that and did that. Sorry but I just don't do well with a 5th grade male who's shorts are "ruined" b-c a spec of dirt landed on them. I am all for nutrition but mom, can't you screw it for a week?



Then there is the trash can licker...he is hyper active, too smart, very immature and the strangest kid you will ever meet. After I told him to cool it he collapsed on the floor making fart noises and then smiled saying excuse me. I kindly expressed I would gladly excuse him...excuse him straight home if he didn't straighten up....right NOW!



Oh and of course I can't forget Evan. A very cute 5th grader who appears athletic and popular. Only when he didn't get the class he wanted you would have thought the whole world had come to an end, stopped spinning and sunk to the bottom of the ocean with all of us still on it. He stomped his foot, huffed and stormed off. "Umm, Mom aren't you going to do anything about that attitude?" She let it go. About 5 minutes after sending him to his undesired class I found him trying to SNEAK into the class he wanted!!!! The nerve of that conniving twirp! Then later when he got directions to his next class I discovered he didn't know the difference between right and left. I have to confess I had a lot to learn in 5th grade but sense of right and left direction was strongly established.

It hasn't been that....I am definitely not going out to pursue a career in elementary ed. but it's given me a lot of laughs, tried my patience (doesn't take much) and let me see the lighter side of life.

This pic has NOTHING to do with this post but it's from our biker sunday at our church.


No comments: