Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Big "J" Word

February has been by far my favorite month in a very long time. I am really starting to feel settled more and more everyday. I am no longer the lost (ok so I occasionally still do get lost) new person but a member of a church, resident of Florida and I have to admit even though we want a house this apt is awfully cozy.

We got to see Cola turn one, go to Bermuda, celebrate Valentine's Day, watch Dalen learn basketball, spend a day at Universal for free and Friday we will see our 5 year anniversary come to pass and be able to attend the Youth Pastor's Summit on the 28th. It's been a FUN, action packed month.

I have noticed that I don't like my mental state during the good times in life. It seems I am always Justifying why I deserve good things just so I feel comfortable enough to somewhat enjoy them while they last. This morning I woke up craving ice cream. Random for me because I am not a sweets person. We have a container of Publix brand Roadrunner Raspberry Frozen Yogurt in the freezer, yum, and I kept going back and forth just trying to gather enough Justifying thoughts so that I could enjoy some guilt free. Why do I do that?

I found myself in Bermuda having to force thoughts away of why someone else should have taken that beautiful platform in front of an amazing group of young people. But that someone else was me. For whatever reason, God chose me, sent me, provided for ME.

I am not one to super spiritualize my unhealthy mentalities but I am not naive enough to dismiss the probability that the enemy would love to detour me from enjoying the many blessings God has given me.

So this morning I had ice cream for breakfast. On a sugar cone. Not because I have lost so much weight and deserve a treat, not because I did so well on the Daniel's fast last month but just because. Just because...

Enjoy your just because moments. Sometimes after seasons of struggling, working hard, experiences of loss you won't have a reason to enjoy small things but it doesn't mean you shouldn't. Embrace a just because mentality. And tomorrow if you happen to wake up craving ice cream and need a reason to enjoy it for the "most important meal of the day" just tell yourself I said you deserve it.

And of course what is a post without pics of these beauties in my life...
We found a great new park.

Did I mention we are having some pretty amazing weather??
Cola had NO fear of the ducks. See the swan right behind her hand??



No comments: