Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Trust + faith= understanding

When Mario and I were freshman in college, I was attending Cleveland State and he was attending Lee. Right after Mario dedicated his life to the Lord at convocation, he developed a hunger to know more about God's word. On many occaisons he would talk about reading the Bible and I knew he was studying it a lot.
One day in Pathway, I was browsing around for nothing inparticular. I recieved direction from the Holy Spirit to purchase a Bible for Mario. Being a college student who was just learning how to budget after paying bills, I of course supressed this as a silly thought. I knew deep down inside it was God. After picking up the smallest, cheapest Bible I could find I knew God intended for his son to have the best Bible for him as he was growing in his faith. I knew his favorite color was blue and so I chose the only blue Bible on the shelves. It was a leather, study bible and it was the one God wanted for him.
A few minutes into a phone call with Mario I told him I had something for him. With no hints given he guessed a Bible. So strange I thought! How in the world did he know!? A few seconds of silence passed and he continued by saying that would be awesome if it were a Bible. I don't have one.
Come to find out this new believer who was so intentional concerning his conversion, was going to different students in his dorm and asking to borrow their Bibles just so he could know his Saviour more. God knew this but I didn't.
The purshase of that Bible took trust. That trust needed faith or a firm belief in what was not tangible or proven. Because God is so gracious, when I combined these two practices with being obediant he allowed me to have understanding. I am not saying we will always understand the mysteries of God but when we need to he gives understanding that later in life helps us to have faith again in situations where reason is not tangible and hope is being shy.

1 comment:

Mario Hood said...

I remember this day like it was yesterday.. thanks for following the Spirit.