Thursday, September 10, 2009

Daily Grind

Until I had Dalen, I never realized how difficult it is to interrupt the daily grind of a toddler. Once they are in full swing of napping, school, church and sleeping in their own bed it takes an awful lot to go out of town or make major changes. You don't notice how much it affects them UNTIL you come back and expect them to just jump right back into things.

Dalen spent the week in South Carolina with Mario visiting family. I knew he would have a hard time once he came back and had to start school all over again. Tuesday, I decided I would drop Dalen off at school myself on my way to work. He had a very hard time with me leaving. I called mid-morning to check on him (I know thats so annoying when moms do that) and the teacher reported Dalen had calmed down and was doing fine.

I was out in town shopping for a new printer for my office when my cell phone rang. It was Mrs. Becky (Dalen's teacher). She informed me not long after I called Dalen began crying uncontrollably and eventually cried so hard he made himself sick. I told her I would be right there. I flew from Wal-Mart to his rescue. Becky wasn't 100% sure he wasn't sick but she was pretty sure he threw up from crying so hard.

When Dalen saw me he began crying and screaming, "Mommy I sick, I sick!" I picked him up and he told me to get him out of there. Wow, I thought, he must really not be feeling well. We got out to my work car which had no car seat. We waited on Mario to arrive in his car so that we could take Dalen home. It was like a light switch! Once he realized he wasn't going to have to stay at school he was fine. No crying, no complaining, just smiling and kisses for me!

I began to talk to him about what happened. I asked a few things like, Dalen are you sick? Does your tummy hurt? All I could get in response was that "Mrs. Betty wasn't gonna make Naynen (Dalen) seep (sleep)." Shocked, I asked Dalen did you do all of this to come home so you wouldn't have to nap and he admitted to the scheme. I couldn't believe it! A one year is capable of this???!!! Just wait til he's 15 I thought!

I later let him talk to Papa (my dad) about the situation and he told Dalen next time just rest. Just lay on your mat and rest. Later Dalen asked me if he had to nap next time and I said yes you do. I also told him we wouldn't come pick him up again. He cut his eyes at me and said my papa will!! I found this quite homorous considering my dad would be in Singapore. Uh, no he won't Dalen he will be gone I said and he stood up straight and tall and said CALL HIM! My, my do I have my hands full!




No comments: