Sunday, September 25, 2011

I Don't Know How She Does It

This week I went to see I Don't Know How She Does It. I had been waiting for it to come out and I was so not disappointed. This humorous, sneak peek into every mother's reality, was not only encouraging but uplifting. Encouraging because I am constantly reassured that I am not the only mother on the planet who has mental lists and can't sleep at night until I've rehearsed them a million times and uplifting because you see a powerful woman find balance and clarity in what really matters most in life.

I took off from home Thursday afternoon, left my kids with their dad and unashamedly pulled my knees to my chest and hugged them there the entire movie. I was comfy in my jeans, t-shirt and TOMS. My hair was pulled back and my face bare. I was the perfect date for me! While I was gone I got occasional updates from Mario-one picture of Cola wearing kitchen gloves, another text to say he had successfully made dinner and Dalen thought his pasta was better than mine and another assuring me Cola wasn't feeling 100 % but she was still sweet as ever.

I watched that movie and laughed at so many scenes I have found myself in and ached with the character, Kate, at many of the heartbreaks all of us mothers experience from time to time. I watched a smart, intelligent, woman balance two kids an amazing career and marriage. Throughout the movie different characters say, "I don't know how you do it!" And the truth is most of don't. The movie even refers to Kate as a juggler and most of us are just that. Except my juggling typically looks like a circus act gone bad!

Through every scene there is a dim, yet silver lining piecing this woman's story together. It is the faint revelation for us all that we are all so blessed to have wonderful husbands who not only support us and our dreams but come along side of us to watch them unfold. I don't work right now and honestly I can't imagine working with two kids, without family close by to help out but even though I don't work I have still found myself saying I don't know how I do it. I watched that movie and by the end I knew exactly how I do it. I knew exactly how my heart heals so quickly from let downs and failed attempts to discipline according to the building of the character of my kids. I was certain I knew how I go to bed every night assured it was worth it and tomorrow will be conquered with a greater force than we used on today. I do it the same way Kate did it, with my husband by my side.

You may not understand the way we do things, you may not even like the way we do things, but we get them done-TOGETHER. I am now more assured than ever that there was such a divine plan for my life when I said I do and I am so glad I did. So, while I may not know how you do it, I am proud to say I know EXACTLY how I do it.

No comments: