Monday, September 26, 2011

Quitters.

After enduring weeks of sleepless nights, due to our 18 month old climbing out of her crib every hour on the hour, we decided it was time to convert her crib into a little toddler bed. We knew it wouldn't solve the problem of her leaving her room countless times a night but we decided it would prevent possible injury.

We weren't surprised when she lasted only four minutes in her new big girl bed on the first night of sleeping in it. From about 8:30 p.m. to 11 we made about 12 trips upstairs to put her back where she belonged. For you that know me, 11 p.m. is (on most nights) passed my bedtime. Eventually, I drifted into a deep enough sleep to where she left her bed and staggered into ours and I didn't even feel it. No big deal, right?

I really hit me how many thoughts came into my mind to just leave her alone, let her come downstairs, who really cares. Eventually every child learns to sleep on their own and in their own space, right? Wrong! The root of the problem was wanting to quit - probably due to laziness and a little bit of fear of how my day would run without sleep the night before.

No one likes a quitter. Especially me! Sometimes we quit because of fear, other times because of laziness, many times because we are so insecure we think we can't finish. But persevering is an action I want a guilty sentence for. I love Hebrew 10:35-30. Basically, don't throw away your confidence, persevere and see God's promises come to pass. If you want to please God, don't shrink back!

Of course, this portion of scripture is talking about our walk of faith not putting your toddler to bed multiple times in a night but if we quit in the small things, we will quit in the big things.

My kids are watching-everything! I don't want them to watch a quitter. I want them to watch a woman of stamina, strength and endurance. So who wants to join my no quitting campaign?! Cheers to endurance and the finish line!

No comments: