Monday, September 19, 2011

THE Talk

I am beginning to notice as parents, Mario and I will have many "talks". Talks that share tragedy to our children, talks that pertain to sharpening of ones character, talks that encourage one to behave better, talks that answer difficult questions...our life is one dramatic conversation after another separated by BIG events or small convictions letting us know change must take place.

Today was Dalen's birthday, he turned 4. I am so proud of him! It was his wish to play outside, ride his bike, cookout and eat by the pool. We then came inside and minutes later it began to downpour so Dalen himself cut his cake. It was then something happened. Something really BIG and literally nauseating.

I realized in that moment our family needed a talk. My son was cutting his THIRD birthday cake. Yes, he has had three different celebrations with extended family, friends and tonight, our immediate family. I became literally nauseous. As a parent, overindulgence is just as bad as neglect because you are indeed neglecting things like balance.

But I am so proud of our family. In that moment, that nauseating moment, we got together, got down on our knees, got a trash bag and began to clean out the toys. We explained with new toys coming in, the old (if you can even call them that) ones need to go to other people who have nothing. As we explained to Dalen what was happening the tears rolled and a tantrum took place but we kept doing what was right. Doing what is right isn't always comfortable but it is just that, right, and at the end of the day I don't want to be stalked by the shadow of my dark and lurking conscience. I want to be joyful in knowing I am pure in heart and that I have enabled my children to give in some kind of way.

I have repented for the three parties. Of course, readers may think its silly to be ashamed or convicted of the fact that I feel awful for three parties and too many gifts to place in our house. I don't feel guilty for blessings I feel convicted for greed and overindulgence. It will not have place in my home.

This year is the best birthday yet. On the day America has created for kids to receive more than they need, my son learned to give.

I would also like to express a friend in need as well. I have a friend who is moving to Cambodia early next year. She has to raise money to go and she needs my help and YOURS. None of us can do everything but we can all do something! All of our "little bit" turns out to be a lot.

I am honored to call Abby my friend. What a courageous woman of character and empathy and compassion! She is leaving her family, friends, home and JOB to give. Help her change the lives of others! You can send your monetary gifts to:
PLC 4235 TL Rogers St NE Cleveland, TN 37312

Also, please make sure to include her name, Abby Fletcher, in the memo line.

1 comment:

Abigail said...

Thanks friend. =) And what a great lesson for Dalen. He might just want to do that every birthday from now on!