Tuesday, October 4, 2011

7 Days

This mornings was one of those mornings. I debated calling in sick and then I remembered I'm on call 24/7 and have no sick days. I woke up at 6:45 a.m. not by choice. No one said good morning, what can I bring you for breakfast, or why don't you sleep a few longer instead I got a moaning baby ready for breakfast and a griping toddler asking over and over if I had bought him a doughnut. Both kids followed me to the kitchen where I took an antibiotic (had an infected tooth extracted the other day) and then both moaning and complained when they realized I wasn't fixing breakfast yet. Good greif! I didn't even have my contacts in yet!

After kicking them both out of the bathroom because yes, I am entitled to pee in peace they lingered at the door waiting. When I opened the door and saw them both standing there with hungry bellies and begging eyes I began my day as I usually do, complaining. "You are both so impatient! Sit on the couch and stop following me! It won't make your breakfast come any quicker! The sun isn't even out yet! I am barely awake! Look at all of the toys you both left out yesterday!" And so on and so forth. Yes, I actually have days where I talk to my kids that way. I know. I am a horrible mother.

Something happened today though. I realized with their every complaint I had either proceeded with one or followed theirs with another. So annoying, SO unattractive and SO not the example I want to be to my daughter who will one day be a mother and I certainly don't want my son picking a complainer to mother his children. I was so seriously disgusted by how much I complained by 8 a.m. I got in a corner blasted P&W music from my laptop and googled what the Bible says about complaining. Not only was I convicted I was ready for deliverance! What a nasty habit to have! God gives us so much good yet all we mumble about is the bad.

During those 5 minutes even while asking for God's help I found myself complaining. I found myself praying for someone to cater to me while I deal with this awful tooth pain instead of asking and believing for healing. I began thanking God for healthy kids and then complaining about how loud they stomp and often they whine and obnoxiously they play. I really don't think that is thanks or praise at all. How meaningful is a compliment or thank you when someone follows it by a bunch of you shoulda, coulda, wouldas....NOT VERY!

So I am challenging myself to a seven day complaining cleanse. For every complaint I think or even say I will repent and then fill my mouth with thanksgiving and praise. After all we ALL have sooo much to be thankful for.

In spite of this horrible tooth pain, I am so thankful that I have been able to pack and do laundry for our overnight trip tomorrow night. I am also thankful for another opportunity to meet people and share the gospel with another group of young people. I am so thankful and grateful to God that right now I don't work and I am able to go with my husband when he travels so that we can keep our covenant we won't travel alone. Ah, that sounds so much more inviting!

No comments: