Sunday, October 23, 2011

Whirlwind week!

This post is going to be rather looong. That is, if my brain is still functioning enough to recall the events of it. Tuesday my dear friend A arrived to spend a few days of her Fall Break with us. I was super excited to have company and especially glad it was this particular friend who is sooo go with the flow you know every time she says "I don't care what we do" you know she REALLY means it.

We spent the two days she was here sitting, talking, browsing Pinterest, shopping, EATING and seeing Footloose (so hilarious!). The best part of her trip was seeing her minister to our young people by simply sharing what God has given her the opportunity to take part in. Many times I think we have preconcieved ideas that in order to minister to a group of people about something spiritual we must do it in a sermon format with deep theological reflection and while that is necessary at times this night it was not. But God moved all of the same. In my heart of hearts I really wanted our youth to walk away with a few things. #1 Missionaries aren't ALL weird or old (hahaha) #2 Being a missionary isn't about what you will live without or how far away you will move but totally about how obedient you are to his calling and #3 That when God calls us to do something we won't do it without fear or reserve but rather in spite of fears and reservations.

I totally know all of our students saw and got this through her sharing. It was so awesome to see them so wide eyed and attentive, you could have heard a pin drop! We have 5 young people (some young adults and some teens) who are praying for confirmation about whether God has called them to full time ministry and I know what she shared helped them realize if they are experiencing fear, that's normal and its normal to take time to process what they are feeling.

I am super proud to call this woman my friend. No because she is moving across the world to live possibly without a dryer and air conditioning but because she is an example of obedience and consistency as a friend and follower of Christ.

A left on Thursday and my mom came that afternoon. Friday I woke up to Cola's small cough being an monsterous croop with wheezing. Her entire chest and stomach was caving in and she was struggling to breath every few breaths. I knew she need to go to the doctor. TO make a long story short we found out she was in respiratory distress (having an asthma attack). She was sent to an ER where even after two steroids and an hour long breathing treatment she was only a little better. It was a loooong scary day and I am still praying we won't see these things again in her. She is now on a steroid twice a day and breathing treatments every four hours. This will change after a few days (we pray!).

Thankfully and my mom was in town and was able to help with Dalen for the day especially since we got a call in the midst of everything that Dalen began wheezing. Talk about a crazy day! I'm not sure how we manage with no family but somehow we do but God must have known in advance we really needed some extra help. I keep waiting for the day my parents won't be the ones giving to us but we will be the ones giving to them. So far I don't think the day is here. My mom left yesterday and both kids seem to be doing much better. Thankfully!

What a week!