Monday, November 7, 2011

Dear Dalen & Cola

Do you ever just take a step back and look at things (society, technology, government, fashion) and see them evolving before your eyes? I'm not an embracer of change and for me the evolution of all things is scary! As things change and evolve into new trends or become extinct (couldn't think of another word lol) there are a few things I never want my kids to lose sight of. And here there...

Never forget the value of a handwritten note. It shows you are personable and go the extra mile to make something simple, special. I must say I love the random e-mail, private FB message or midnight text but NOTHING beats finding an unexpected card or note in my mailbox!

Always use manners. I used to think manners were all about making the parent looking good but now I realize (with manners being so yesterday) manners are about showing even a complete stranger respect, which everyone is worthy of.

Don't forget thank you notes. The reason thank you notes are so moving is because anyone can say thanks at the moment when they receive a gift or kind gesture but receiving a thank you note later lets someone know whatever they gave/did still has you thinking and moved you days or even weeks later.

Emphasize traditions and never hesitate to share them. I know I am a little Pinterest crazy right now but really the crafts or holiday ideas are so cool. Can you imagine sharing one small and seemingly insignificant craft or tradition to a friend or on Pinterest and then hundreds of families making beautiful traditions and memories by trying them? What you do with your family today could change a household tomorrow.

Know how valuable time is and how invaluable TV is not. We do watch TV in our home and probably more than we should but the truth is I'm not going to remember next year that episode of Regis and Kelly but I will remember and treasure a craft I made with the kids or the sound of laughter while Mario wrestles with the kids. Sometimes the only way to really connect is to disconnect-from TV, FB, Internet and darn it turn those smart phones off ;)

Never stop using your imagination. A good book is a great way to re-spark a dying imagination! Your imagination is the womb in which dreams are conceived! Keep giving those dreams and crazy ideas life!

What do you want your children to never lose sight of?

No comments: