Thursday, November 3, 2011

Thanks A Lot

I've been reading so many FB posts about what people are thankful for and I am assuming because it's November everyone feels they should be extra thankful. Sometimes this gets on my nerves because I don't think it should take a holiday for us to be reminded we have much to be thankful for or an anniversary to let your spouse know you appreciate them or a birthday to let someone know you are glad they are alive.

But I do know holidays and special occaisons can often help put things in perspective and especially because a lot of people get time off from work they spend more time thinking and reflecting on things they may not have much time to spend on, on a normal day. After reading a lot of FB posts about what people are so thankful for in others it dawned on me they were pretty much all about what others do for them not for who they.

As a mom who is in constant demand and constantly doing something for the kids sometimes it's nice just to know it's not JUST about having clean underwear or a hot meal or clean bathtub to bathe in sometimes it's nice that people get to the core of the clean undies and hot meal. For instance, I wish people would appreciate the qualities in me more than the things I do. Then of course I have to self-examine myself and ask myself how often do I let others know what I appreciate about them.

This summer while at a wedding for a friend one of my friends literally spent the entire trip doing for others. She was constantly asking what she could do to help set up, make things easier for the bride, she even went out in the rain to get the car for the bride after the bridesmaid luncheon. And while all of those things were awesome and appreciated what I really appreciated about the acts of service was the unending level of compassion and selflessness in her heart. I really want to be a better person at letting others know what I appreciate about them, the true qualities that make me want to be their friend. It shouldn't be a time of thanks only when they make those qualities about us it should be brought to their attention often.

I really think appreciation is one of the best things in life. It lets you know you are noticed and not doing acts of service in vain but that someone is benefitting from them. Let someone know they are appreciated today!

No comments: