Saturday, November 19, 2011

Life

I've been overwhelmed of the feelings I had a few years ago when I took a job in retail so that we could have extra cash for gifts, for Christmas. I was working more than I was spending time with my family which is what holidays are all about and I said I would never do it again. Every year, this time of year, when traffic seems to pick up and Thanksgiving is overlooked and black Friday ads are more important than ANYTHING it seems a lurking heaviness comes in my life and won't leave.

You can't escape society. You just can't. But I hate how what life is all about, is not what life is all about-if that makes sense. I understand we all have different priorities because we all have different lives but seriously how important is the newest toy, the greatest gift, that second job? What are we teaching our children about our priorities? When we are willing to stand in line longer than we are willing to sit and do a craft with our kids where is our heart, really?

And to be honest, I won't stop here.

Of course the holidays are very tempting to get overwhelmed, too busy, booked with parties and feel as though you have to attend the things you have no interest in but really I think it's to the point where it happens all year!

What is life all about? REALLY! WHAT IS IT REALLY ABOUT?

I just found a Pinterest pin which included tips on how to be a successful anorexic. REALLY? These tips (if really completed by someone) would literally consume one's life! So, really, is life seriously about how skinny one can be? I don't think there is anything wrong with buying a new toy or splurging here and there on your kids around the holidays but when it consumes your life?? How far are we going to go people?

I think that's called idolatry. When something becomes more important more than anything and even God that is an idol.

My heart just gets sad this time of year. I remember waiting for the Christmas stuff to get put out and now it's like Halloween stuff and Christmas are out together and Thanksgiving....we might as well just take it off the calendar because what does it really matter anymore??

I just want to be cautious of keeping my priorities in line. I'll never get this moment back-EVER and you will never get this Thanksgiving or Christmas back either so what is most important this holiday season?

No comments: