Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Don't Daddys


I have noticed a little something that society contributes to don't daddys (daddys that don't do things because they think only the mom should). After having Dalen, I was really blessed to realize that my husband does a lot that other dad's don't. After being asked over and over if Mario changes dirty diapers or if he gets up with Dalen in the night it became evident people wondered these things because their husbands don't. If you are responsible enough to get your wife pregnant you should be responsible enough to change diapers, roll out of bed at 3 pm for middle of the night feeds and so on and so forth.


I am so sick of society not expecting men to do these things. I think it contributes a lot to their mindset. For instance, there are so many restaraunts that don't have a diaper changer in the men's bathroom which leaves the women to change their kids every chance they get to go out. All paperwork I had to sign when admitted to the hospital concerning Dalen had to have my signature only and not the dad's. I mean for crying out loud the nursery at my own church will only allow mom's working in the nursery to change diapers not dads. Don't get me wrong we have a wonderful nursery and wonderful staff but I mean seriously if the kid is wearing a clean diaper and they are cleaned properly who gives a care who changes them.


Just a little insight on the wonderful society we live in. Maybe men don't do these things because no one expects them to. And just for the record the only thing my husband hasn't done for Dalen is breastfeed....for obvious reasons. So here is to all of the respectable men who take great care of their kids and to all of those who don't....I'll just say no comment.