Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Your On Your Own

Well, its official. There is not one single medicine out there we have tried that will clear up Dalen's allergies. Finally, I got so sick of dealing with a snot nosed wheezing baby I went into the pediatricians office and nicely demanded the last thing I knew could possibly help....a breathing treatment machine. It's the only thing that worked for Mario as a kid and so in high hopes they would say yes I politley told the doctor I would not be coming back again for another medicine that doesn't work. So I got my wish. Dalen is now on 2 breathing treatments a day and I haven't noticed much improvement yet but he said it could take up to 2 weeks. Its not what any parent wants to have to do but if it works I will be more than happy to deal with the inconvienance.

We also discussed Dalen's sleeping issues. I mean good greif he's going to be 1 on Friday!!! It's about time he sleeps all night. Here is what he told me to do.

1. An hour before bedtime start a wind down period. (dim lights, music, a bath, maybe a story)
Also, feed him a last meal so that he doesn't get hungry in the night.
2. When this hour is over leave Dalen in his crib crying. When I asked well what if he cries for 2 hours!? The doctor said you leave him as long as it takes....YES! Finally a doctors permission to not feel guilty about leaving him crying.
3. When he wakes up in the night check on him. Do not talk to him, pick him up or turn bright lights on. Just make sure he's ok and if his diaper needs to be changed change it in his crib so that you avoid picking him up. This let's Dalen know I am there but that I will not pick him up or feed him.
4. Eventually he will sleep all night...
There's the picture of me trying this technique for naptime. He pitched such a fit he squirmed right out of his blue jeans!!! I am going to treasure this picture forever. I love it. He cried for 45 minutes and they was snoring away. Last night was his first night not crying in the crib. He fell asleep within 3 minutes and didn't wake again until morning! So I have finally found something that works!!! PRAISE GOD!!! I know this probably sounds like a cruel technique but if you are thinking that you either number one don't have kids or you number two have kids that are heavenly beings who sleep all night and you need to thank God everyday for such a blessing!

1 comment:

The Cox Family Times said...

Megan,

it's not cruel at all. What's cruel is a parent with NO sleep!! We had to let Hannah cry it out to get her sleeping through the night. She took a lot longer than Dalen to figure it out. It was the best decision we ever did. Hang in there - you are doing a GREAT job! I love reading your blog. It makes me realize - oh yeah, we're not the only ones going through this! Olivia is GROWING so fast!

Keena