Thursday, October 23, 2008

Moms Nurturing Moms

This morning I attended something new at 1st Baptist, called Moms Nurturing Moms. This ministry is just one of many amazing outreach programs 1st Baptist has to offer. I am not sure how they do it every week but today the way they did it was they dedicated an hour to a speaker and another hour to a craft. This ministry charges not one single penny for the craft, refreshments and offers free childcare for the time you are in the event! Isn't that amazing! Sounds like this church has some financial things in line and therefore they are allowed to bless others with kindness.
I really enjoyed it. The speaker, Mary Beth Gibson (I think that's her last name), has 10 children. She is 51 with a 5 year old! She has been pregnant 10 times, none of them are multiple births. I loved hearing her speak. There were two definate things that caught my attention from her speaking.
First, she mentioned the order of priority in family should go like this: God first, spouse second and child last. Mario and I are taking a class at N. Cleveland on Wednesdays called Marriage On The Rock and we just went over that last night. I guess God may be telling me to get my priorities in order.
And second, I loved to see her speak about debatable issues (such as not using birth control) so confidently. I mean can you imagine having ten kids? I think its great and I agree with a lot she believes but I know that others have to question curiously and this family is probably never looked at normal. That sounds harsh but it has to be the truth. (I look at them normal.)
The second hour was spent decorating a pumpkin. Mine is pictured below. I chose one of the baby ones (I think I was the only one). They had many ways you could decorate them and this was the way I chose. All supplies were given to us for free!!! Needless to say I enjoyed myself.
Here are a few things I know I need to work on after attending today and the Marriage on the Rock class. After hearing we are supposed to put our spouses first I know I can do that a lot better. Here are five ways I plan to let my husband know he comes first and that he is special to me.

1. Greet him at the door everyday with Dalen when he comes home after work. (This sounds really small but it impacts really big to know someone is waiting on you and anticipating your arrival.)

2. Invest more time into communicating about the small things like how our day was.

3. Make sure our date night happens weekly and make sure we do one thing he wants to do. (So often date night seems to be solely about me.)

4. Somehow throughout the day let Mario know I am thinking about him while he is at work.

5. Show appreciation for all he does more outwardly.

No comments: