Thursday, May 13, 2010

Eternity

I was a little disturbed by a lot of Facebook statuses that were talking about the death of a young Cleveland girl. I wasn't sure what happened to her but I knew one thing-as a senior in high school I don't think anyone expected her to die so soon. I googled the story through the Cleveland Daily Banner and come to find out she was tragically killed in a car accident and was buried this week. This story is so sad and has been on my mind since the beginning of the week.

It's sad because a beautiful girl should have had her whole entire life ahead of her. This is a saying we have all heard a million times, "You have your whole entire life ahead of you!" The saying is so untrue and so bothersome to me. The truth is the only thing we can be certain of is that we have all of eternity ahead of us. You never know when you will take your last breath and therefore today should be your greatest opportunity yet. You know more than you did yesterday and today you can do something with that knowledge.

I am so speaking to myself. There are things in life I want to do and I am so guilty of saying I will do it tomorrow. Really the truth is I don't know if tomorrow is an opportunity or if tomorrow is my death. There are a few things I'd like to do more everyday.

1. Write, write and write some more.
2. Take time out to admire my growing babies.
3. Be intentional about spending time with my husband.
4. Share Jesus more and lead more souls to the kingdom.

Today I had a moment. I'm not sure if it was because of this story being so fresh or if was just a coencidence but it was a moment I won't forget. When I was pregnant with Cola Leese I was a Case Manager. I had so much paperwork to do all the time and there was a lot of sitting. I would allow a cheap pair of headphones to hug my belly for a better part of the day and it played Celine Dion's Miracle album. I would play A Mother's Prayer and Have You Ever Been In Love over and over to her through Playlist.com.

Yesterday, she was really fussy at her naptime and I played A Mother's Prayer and she calmed almost instantly. Today she was really fussy again. I nearly ran to the computer to play those two songs again. It was so amazing that it moved me to tears. As soon as she heard the beginning notes of Have You Ever Been In Love she exhaled deeply and drifted off to sleep. Isn't that amazing? In my womb she learned these songs and months later they comfort her greatly.

This moment made me realize we can miss so many amazing moments when we aren't paying attention. We don't pay attention because we think moments will come again. We must start stopping to cherish life today because tomorrow-it could be gone.

No comments: