Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Friends

If you could attatch background music to individual blogs I would so be blaring the Friends theme song or possibly Michael W. Smith's Friends Are Friends Forever. My sister came to visit with Livi and left yesterday. For three days my apartment had three kids the age of 2 or under. To say life was interesting would totally be an understatement. How I even have a voice left, I do not know!

I am soooo mad at myself for only taking one picture of the kids at the pool on Sunday. After my dad picked my sister up Dalen had a complete meltdown begging to go with "Dad" (my dad). Then he began begging to just leave period.

D: I want to leave!
Me: We have nowhere to go.
D: YES! I want to go!
Me: Where? We are going to church in a few hours!
D: To the friends! Your friends!
Me: I DON'T HAVE ANY FRIENDS HERE!
The look on his face was priceless! He tilted his head, completely calmed and said, "Aw, that's so sad!" Yeah, tell me about it I thought.

So I was finally convinced to leave. I know how to get to three places-Publix, the mall and church. The mall has an indoor playground so off I went. While getting the entourage loaded in the car a lady walking a dog strolled by. Of course Dalen said hi and asked the dog's name. We get in the car and pass the lady again and Dalen waves. He then says, "His name is Stooter (Scooter). He's our friend." So, I then began thinking, which is sadder-The fact that I have no friends or the fact that our only friend is a dog named Scooter? Oh and I have to add that when Dalen asked me what kind he was the only response I could think of was "Not sure, but he looks like part ugly and part mange."

We get in the mall where 6 moms sat with their kids. It's amazing how some people just have the gift of yacking away to a complete stranger. Honestly at that point I would conversed but there was a slight problem-All of them were speaking Spanish and two women were speaking something I don't know. Boo, on communication barriers! Apparently saying we had no friends REALLY got to Dalen. He was practically dragging the kids on the playground over to me saying, "This is my friend!"

To make a VERY long story short-I get to church, Dalen refuses to go to class, after an hour of Cola crying in the nursery I take her out, force Dalen into his class and try everything known to man to calm her. There I stood in the foyer of our church spinning in circles. I had nowhere to go, no one turn to. I didn't know where to sit with a crying baby. I found a side room with a bathroom and decided to try another bottle. A woman I met at the young adults get together came and helped. She rocked and sang and prayed and there I stood believing that I had just made my first friend. You can meet 1,000 people and nothing ever flourish but then there's that one who instantly connects in a time when you need them.

Eventually I left church early, got lost for a entire hour, both kids were screaming in the back. It was so dark, my husband was in Miami, I could barely read the signs and just couldn't remember if I took the East or West ramp. Finally I just tried both and eventually made it home. I had to park two buildings way and carry both kids in alone. How I am not Kelly Ripa buff is a mystery I will never know!

Friends are NOT to be taken for granted. The lifelong ones that will do anything for you are God given treasures that just don't ever get old. I miss mine! And I miss my husband who should be home by noon-FINGERS CROSSED!

No comments: