Monday, May 3, 2010

That certain age

It's Monday! On Wednesday I will be braving it to the south with one carry on and two little ones! I can't believe I am finally leaving. My parents were generous enough to let us crash at their house until Wednesday. I have learned a lot here.

There is a certain age where you should never move back home. I am not sure what age it is but I am totally convinced I am way passed it. My mom is totally convinced I hold my newborn around the clock which is why she won't sleep in the crib here. My dad says someone is going to report me for napping while my newborn is awake (she was TOTALLY safe, I swear!)

No really, it has been nice to spend the last few days here in Cleveland with my parents. I can tell you this-I will be fine in a single wide trailer after chasing Dalen with Cola on my hip throughout this massive house. The bigger the house, the messier the mess, the more places to hide and the more stairs to climb. Seriously, it one chase after another with him.

Sunday afternoon I got cozy in my parents bed and Cola laid beside me. I dozed off and I guess she didn't and the next thing I knew my Dad was standing over me shaking his head.

Dad: What are you doing, girl??
Me: Well, I WAS sleeping!
Dad: You're gonna be reported if you don't be more attentive to these kids! She could have rolled right off of here!
Me: Well, isn't it a good thing she can't even roll over yet?? Don't you think I thought of that Dad?
Dad: No, no I don't.

My Dad snatches the baby up, takes her downstairs and claims later he had to "care for her all day because of parental neglect." Dalen loves the stairs. He goes up and then he goes down. For some reason my parents think its necessary to watch him go up and down. My theory is-if he falls he is gonna fall. There will be no catching him in time. After about the 5th up and down my dad began to get super grouchy. Dalen was a little confused why this wasn't fun to him. I grabbed Dalen by the arm, went into the room we are staying in and explained (with the door shut), "Sometimes when you get old, things annoy you REALLY bad. So just stay in here with Mommy and we can play in here." I turned around only to find my Dad had listened at the door and opened it to let me know he was fully aware of what I had just told Dalen. He took a quick glance around and then said, "In your spare time, why don't you see if you can manage to throw a few more things on this floor."

We are driving them nuts! I have had some awesome times with my family and friends this last week. Somehow everyone has known better than to say goodbye. My greatest fear is that eventually we will all grow apart and be distant names on a Christmas card list. We mean well when we say we will visit and call but eventually the emotions of the moment become distant and so does communication. I so hope I am wrong and that not one friend is lost in this transition.

1 comment:

Shawn Virginia said...

Y'all are gonna be just fine:-)... But you really do have to make an effort to stay in touch with people. It's hard to just grab lunch with a friend when you are xx hours away. But I'm really excited for your big change! Good luck!