Wednesday, May 12, 2010

I have so many different subjects to cover today.

First, I haven't had a cell phone since Saturday night. We think it got wet at the pool and it's done. No fixing this one. It's pretty annoying when I have needed to call Mario while we haven't been together but other than that it's kind of nice to not be checking constantly for texts, missed calls and see how far I am running behind.

Second, last night was my first night with the youth. There were 40 in attendance and that's double since Mario's first week. WOW! Forty new faces to etch in my brain and 40 new names to memorize. I was really excited to get to know each new student through their student profil cards we made. It's interesting to see how much you can still have in common with individuals so young. It was pretty funny last night when Mario challenged the students to invite two friends each because if they could get to 100 people he would purposely buy an IPOD touch and have a drawing for someone to win it. Of course, I am thinking in my mind, "WHAT?! I don't have one of those and how in world will we afford one!?" Here is the funny part-all the kids were like we already have one of those! lol

We didn't get home until 10:30 last night. Tuesdays are going to be LOOOOONG days! Mario went to the office later today and I caught a movie before he went. I have recommend the new movie out called Babies. I love movies that display cultures richly. I was absolutely amazed at what I saw through movie. I will not spoil it for anyone but I have to confess I absolutely loved the baby from Malaysia (sp.?) I loved him because he had an older brother who tortured him constantly! It made me feel that Dalen's behavior is totally normal. My favorite scene would hands down be when the older brother pushes the baby who is probably 6 months old in a stroller into a pasture of cows and leaves him there! ALL ALONE! No mom, no dad, no babysitter-just an infant looking at cows! Oh, and I must mention they had horns! YIKES! I took Cola with me and she watched the entire thing. No matter what culture, race or place where are from ALL babies have some things in common.

They all cry to communicate. They are ALL curious about their private parts and OTHER people's private parts. They all poop and turn a darker shade when they do it. And every baby LOVES to be swaddled. I loved this movie. Not only did it show me diverse cultures it made me want to hold my babies close and thank God I am an American and I don't mean that offensively but when see an African baby use sticks and rocks as a chew toy you just can't help but thank God for such a blessed country.

Swimmer's Ear...
I have realized lately that if I want Dalen to talk to me just take him to the pool. He will tell you or anyone else anything if he's in water. He still occaisonally laughs at the poor pool man who can't speak English and still asks him what he's doing. He plays with his frisbee and shovel in the water and pretends to make breakfast. I asked him if he wanted an omelet the other day and he said whats that. I explained to him an omelet is eggs that kind of make a blanket to other foods like cheese, sausage, bacon and so on. So he got excite and said yes, I want an omelet. I acted like I was scrambling eggs and played along with the special toppings he wanted. He is so a boy. He told me he wanted boogers and poop. Wonderful. He also told the lawn man who tried speaking Spanish to him that he couldn't talk good. Hopefully he didn't know what he said.

No comments: