Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Book Review Anyone?

When I was younger, I loved to read! LOVED Beverly Clearly, Judy Blume, Ann Martin and so many more! Today I love Beth Moore, Mary Higgins Clark AND Francine Rivers.

A couple months back my cousin REALLY encouraged me to read Atonement Child. Literally, I could NOT put the book down. Mario and I would literally fight because I was so addicted to this book, I would read it in the car which makes me sick. I finally finished and the craze was over....BUT NOT FOR LONG!

Then I came home with Redeeming Love (no one spoil it I am not finished yet) which is three times its size. I make up stories (or lies) that I need to bathe JUST to sneak away and read this book in the bathroom (its the only place I am not interrupted when Mario can keep Dalen out). I love, love, love it. I have about another 200 pages left but I am so captivated by the real and awesome story line.

I know most all of you have read this book (if you are into reading) but I hadn't. I have an awful habit of starting books and quitting but I am finally into this one and I can't stop. I already have another one of her books called Voices In The Wind that I will start when I am finished with this one. I can't wait.

Anyway just a thought I wanted to share with each of you reading....Several years ago I had an addiction to Days Of Our Lives. I know....SO STUPID and humiliating to even admit! But I did. I watched it EVERYDAY and Mario would get so mad at me. We would literally fight that something so stupid shouldn't even be worth my time and the garbage filled in that show shouldn't even be turned on....he was right. I quit watching.

I didn't quit watching until my bible study teacher ran something across me when discussing this obsession I had. (It was brought to her attention when Mario revealed it, thanks a lot!) She asked me why I watched it. My response: Because it was hilarious! Marlena prances in dead after dying last week! HILARIOUS! Austin forgives Sami after one shenanigan after another and then they re-fall in love! HILARIOUS!

Her response: Lazarus pranced in after being dead for three days but it was real! AMAZING! God forgave everyone in the Bible after one shenanigan after another but it was real! AMAZING!

Anyways....all of the drama and events we seek after in television and books is in the Bible. I am not saying TV is bad or a sin or reading is bad but when you read novels the way I am reading Redeeming Love I think it is dangerous. The story is based on a REAL STORY from the Bible! But I have never literally exscused myself to go read the Bible! Why? I am not sure.

My point in this post is just to ask for your love to be rekindled for God's word the way our passion burns for novels and sitcoms and events. Could you imagine how much our spiritual lives would be enhanced? Wow, a lot.

1 comment:

Lisa Michelle Turner said...

I loved Reedming Love too! I haven't read Atonement Child though so I'll give it a shot! :)