Friday, February 20, 2009

Hospitality

Ok BIG confession, I am not naturally nice.  There I said it!  
I am not naturally mean either, I am just a strange character who doesn't show kindness as outwardly as I think kind things.  It's really weird.  My friends who are really close to me know I am nice and welcoming and loving but those on the outside always think I am mean...but I'm NOT!  
Or maybe I am.  I took a spiritual gifts test last weekend at the request of my husband.  My lowest score was....HOSPITALITY!  Go figure!  
Well with us taking part in a new ministry and everything I am going to try to be very conscience of the fact that this isn't a strength.  I am just not the type of person to meet new people, talk to strangers and be huggy.  I am trying though!  But then with this confession out in the open (I think its quite obvious anyway) I fear people will think I am fake.  So if I hug you or smile A LOT its not that I am faking affection or happiness I am just trying to display it in an outward way what I am thinking.   
Oh man, I sound nuts.  But seriously, I am really trying to create relationships with new people and create a comfortable atmosphere for newcomers.  Oh, and I am throwing a party at my house on Saturday...that's hospitable, right??  
This post has turned into a pat on my own back but its just an open post of something I struggle with and something I am aware of and working on.  God help me :)

2 comments:

Shawn Virginia said...

Don't worry girl, your words may have well been my words:-) People always think I look mean or angry... but I'm not! Good luck with your new life of hospitality:-)

Abigail said...

You're so funny. I think it's very noble of you to "admit" this if you think it's a weakness, but I, of course, know that you are one of the kindest persons I know! :o) But I will say... I don't remember many "huggy" times??? hahaha... oh well! Our friendship is much deeper than that!