Monday, July 20, 2009

Spongebob


Who knew this silly and ridiculous character could cause so much trouble to one home? NOT ME! Several months back we got cable and Dalen was still not into watching cartoons but recently all he wants to watch is Pun-Bob (Spongebob) or Doe-Wah (Dora The Explorer). As a parent, I was irresponsible and just let him begin watching these two shows. Dora has been fine and we still welcome her every morning but Spongebob....UGH!
One night Dalen was watching it and began screaming and crying because a gorilla comes out of the sea and begins to beat up Spongebob and his friends and destroy his pineapple home. Since then Dalen has not been the same. He has been waking up with nightmares and when we ask him what is wrong he says, "montees!" (monkeys) At first I thought it was just that episode and then I began to watch and take in what was going on. Here are the things I found said and shown...
1) The words jerk, stupid, and worthless.
2) Bare butts of the characters and one very suggestive scene of male genitals
3) Violence
Yes, I guess I am old school. But my one year old will NOT be watching this anymore. At one a child can not understand what innappropriate is and I can TOTALLY see Dalen pulling his pants down to show people his bare butt. He repeated "erk" after they said jerk and that was the last straw for me. Isn't it sad I have to moniter cartoons???!!! WOW!
Any other cartoons I need to be warned about, moms?

No comments: