Monday, November 24, 2008

The Gift

I am so very thankful that I was raised as a hard worker. My mom is a teacher with her ph.d. and does so many extra things like teach Sunday School and teach night classes and still makes time for Dalen pretty much weekly. My dad travels the world and NEVER complains about being tired or worn out. Basically I was taught to do what you have to do to survive.
This year I got a 2nd job at Belk so that I could afford gifts. I have never in my life regretted anything more than this decision. Of course, I want Dalen to have a good Christmas but he really doesn't even know what is going on. Even though my parents tell us not to get them anything can I really not get them something after all of the times they have kept Dalen for free or helped us out? I feel like I should get them something REALLY, REALLY good.
So, because I felt pressured from a few people telling me to get a job for the holidays and because I allowed myself to feel obligated to get good gifts for others I got this job. I regret this decision because I know that I am teaching Dalen (even at this young age) that its about gifts and its NOT. It's about a saviour born so long ago who is still Emmanuel (God with us) today. I will never do this again. I feel obligated to work the job throughout the holidays because I already commited to doing it but never again! I am sacrificing time with my family and memories that could be created for a few gifts that I won't even remember next year.
Think about it. If you have a spouse think back to last year and see if you can think of what they got you. I cant. See if you can remember what you got them. I can't. But I can remember the memories of fun filled holidays with family.
I think back to last year and know that God just meets needs. He provides for those who have worked hard all year long. Sometimes we stay so busy trying to do what God can do. I wish I would have left a door open for him to provide for our family again.

No comments: