Sunday, April 11, 2010

Boys will be boys

Yes, that is a plastic knife Dalen has in his hand. Hence my title-boys will be boys. He insisted he had to have it during the picture to kill spiders on Cola's carseat. After the picture I insisted he give it to me and then somehow up from our waterless floor were sharks. I told him he had one stab to kill them all and then he better give me the knife.

This picture is not staged. I actually found Dalen sound asleep on top of Mario's head this morning. You can see Mario's arm sticking out from under him. Not long after I snapped this pic I saw Mario's arms begin to move and a muffled sound kept coming from under Dalen. It was so funny. Although I couldn't understand what he was saying I am sure it was not nice.

Last night was a really fun and interesting night. My friend invited me over to her sister's house so that Dalen could play with her kids. The last time we visited this house Dalen asked when her company was leaving. I have tried to explain to him over and over the kids are not company they ALL come from the mom's belly and they ALL live there. He still doesn't comprehend.

When we arrived the man of the house was washing my friends car in the driveway. You can tell how often we wash our cars by Dalen's comment, "What is he wetting that car for?" Later he told us that the people gave their cars baths. The two older boys of the home welcomed Dalen into their game of baseball. At any given moment they would switch activity from tree climbing, bike riding, digging dirt and then eventually back to baseball. I was amazed, it seemed like their mom was calm at all times even when the boys reached the top of a cherry blossom tree or disappeared around the corner for a few moments. I so hope my nerves won't prevent my boy from being a boy.

Dalen had an absolute blast and I was honestly a little lost puppy following the lead of the mom of 4. At every scream or shattering sound I would panic and she wouldn't even budge. What a pro! Finally, I said ok, I guess if you don't panic I won't. Once we headed inside mother of four fed the entire family including me and Dalen and my friend. She never missed a beat. Cleaning, talking and shoveling food into the baby's mouth she gracefully moved about while I soaked up her professional mother skills. She didn't even gag when her daughter asked for cheese on her coco puffs for dinner! (and yes, the little girl actually ate them!)

Us ladies sat and talked and laughed while the boys were just being boys. They occupied their night by pegging each other with bouncy balls, tackling each other to the ground, playing chase or monkey in the middle. Last night I finally realized I need to relax....A LOT! Boys will be boys and its important they are allowed the freedom to climb trees, act like a bottomless pit of energy and expend every ounce of it. Of course, we all want our kids to know limits and have manners but at the same time I have to learn Dalen is still a blank slate learning his boundaries and I really need to allow him the freedom to express his "boydom". That's not a word but it sounded good.

Dalen was so eager to tell my husband every single thing each child did while he was there. After his bath he told me, "Mommy, I love it at that place." I still think he's convinced the hugh home is a camp with random kids and that they all eventually went home to their own house and were tucked in by their own mom.

No comments: