Saturday, April 24, 2010

Megan Hood, MD

Last night was our last Parent's Night Out. We had plans of a nice dinner and a funny movie. My mom randomly called to pick Dalen up from school and take him to dinner. The plan was to get Dalen by 5:30 and take him to Parent's Night Out and enjoy our last chance to take advantage of an awesome ministry that has done so much for our marriage. Just as I was about to get dressed I noticed the baby was burning up. I was certain she had a fever. I took her temp and it read 101.7.

If you read my previous post you know we had already been to the pediatrician and ER (for chest x-rays because of congestion) this week. I am totally convinced you do NOT have to have a degree in medicine to know when your loved ones are sick. I call the pediatrician and here's what comes of it.

Me-I need to speak to a nurse about my child's condition.
(I am transferred)
Nurse-This is Debbie Jay, one of the nurses's, how can I help you?
Me-We were seen yesterday for congestion and cough and sent to the ER for chest x-rays and some other tests. The difference today is that my baby is running a fever of 101.7 and the doctor told me to call if she began running a fever over 100.4.
Nurse-Ok. How old is the baby?
Me-11 weeks.
Nurse-11 weeks? Oh...hmm. I'm going to have to catch the doctor in between rooms because that is a pretty high temp. I tell ya what, while I wait for him to come out of the room check the baby's temp again in 10 minutes and I will call you back.

10 minutes passes and the fever is the same. 11 minutes comes and she calls back.

Nurse-Dr. K says you need to go straight to TC Thompson's Hospital.
Me- Uhhh, what?? Like the one in Chattanooga?
Nurse- Yes.
Me-For what?
Nurse- Because your baby has a severe fever and there has to be a source and it's very important we identify the issue causing the problem because it's dangerous for newborn babies to run fevers at all, but especially that high.
Me- So Dr. K seriously wants me to take my child all the was to TC Thompson? Is this really that serious.
Nurse-YES! Babies this young should not run fevers at all!
Me- And you are certain Dr. K knows we were JUST in the office yesterday and he sent us home with a common cold? This is so frustrating. I have already been to the ER this week and to your office. I knew my child was sick and he didn't do anything and now we have to go back to the ER.
Nurse-I am very sorry ma'am but he is just looking out for the baby. If you would like you can take her to Sky Ridge. She really needs to be evaluated. There's nothing we can do here, because we close in 15 minutes.
Me-ok. So are you sending me there because you are closing and don't want to stay late to see her or because this really is a serious emergency?
Nurse-Ma'am she needs to be taken in to be evaluated.

Please keep in mind I have had so many problems with my pediatrician's office it's not even funny. They are the absolute worst medical care I have ever dealt with and I know I sounded stupid 2nd guessing a MD but with the problems they have given me in the past I couldn't help myself. So we load up, cancel date night, and make arrangements with my parents.

It's 5 p.m. when we arrive and if you ever want to see Cleveland's finest just go to the local ER where all the finest, toothless rednecks are on display! We waited 3 1/2 hours before we were ever even called back. One lady had been there 5 hours and went to see what the hold up was and the check in counter told her, "We don't have you in the system! Did you even check in?" I thought there was going to be a brawl!

We get back to the room and after waiting longer and longer a NP comes in runs all the tests through blood, urine and a chest x-ray that we had already had this week and finally the results come.

Dr.-We have concluded that the source of the fever is coming from an infection.
Me-Ok. what kind of infection?
Dr.-A pretty nasty UTI.
Me-ok. I didn't even know babies could get those.
Dr.-So, because her fever is so high I have reason to admit her but it's up to you guys. Would you like to go home or stay overnight?
Are you kidding me??!! Are you seriously that stupid? Do you actually think we are going to request to spend the night in this germ infested hospital?
Mario-Well, of course we don't want to spend the night! You are the doctor. You need to tell us if that is necessary.
Dr.-Well, let me call Dr. K and see what he says.

I stand there in total shock that first of all my 11 week old came in for congestion and was just diagnosed with a UTI and then I am just shocked that the doctor would ask us if our child needs to stay overnight. After 7 hours of waiting, a heel stick, needle in the arm, rectal temp check three times, chest x-ray, a round of antibiotics given by shot we were finally released. Oh and I can't forget this part. A nurse enter our room (the nurse we have had the WHOLE ENTIRE NIGHT) hands me papers and says ok, you are all ready to check out! I sign the discharge papers and she begins to leave the room when I notice that the papers she gave me was for a condition Cola didn't have. She then realizes she had entered the wrong room and that my name wasn't Cassondra. I was infuriated. I look at the nurse as she LAUGHS at her careless mistake and say no the patient's name is Cola and you have to give her a round of antibiotics and then we have to wait 20 minutes to make sure she doesn't have an allergic reaction before we leave. Was I seriously telling the RN what to do because she had no clue? Yes, I was. Oh, and I must also tell this part. When the nurse was drawing blood she looks at me and yells, "Pull the syringe out!" I look at her totally confused and say, "Huh? Me? Pull it out all the way?!" The she yells, "Pull it out hurry!" So of course clueless me hurriedly pulls out the syringe and then she frantically yells, "SLOWER, MOM, SLOWER!" I then yell back, "Well, I don't freaking know how to do this!"

I am convinced that the new slogan for Sky Ridge should be "Where quality care can be UNexpected". We had to go back to the pediatrician's office this morning. We learned the fever hasn't gone away, the white cells counts are increasing rapidly and we will have to go back to the pediatric wing of the hospital tomorrow. Cola will have to have more tests to see if the white cells are still increasing and if the fever has gone. Please whisper prayers for her when you think of it.

Last night I played the roles of a phlebotomist, RN, MD, wife, mom and I did none of them calmly. Just call me DR. HOOD.

No comments: