Sunday, August 30, 2009

Under The Influence/ Book Review

I know it's pretty pathetic but I just finished the book After The Leaves Fall by Nicole Baart. I am SO proud of myself for finishing another looooong book that I so wanted to quit after the first 150 pages. Well needless to say I was in for a surprise when I finished the book and realized...there was no ending! Until you read the sequel anyway! It went a little like this...

I was sitting our living room with about 20 pages left of this 300+ page book. I kept wondering how the author was going to sum this story in such little time. I got butterflies and excitement at the thought I was almost finished and hadn't quit! I read the last page and shouted out, "WHAT?! NO! IT CAN'T BE!" Mario and Dalen sat staring at me as I slammed the book shut and I began to cry hysterically. Oh Lord, I thought. Here comes another hormonal attack I just can't seem to control.

By this time Mario was staring at me in disbelief. He asked, "Over a book?"
"It's a sequel! No one told me it was a sequel! Now, I have to endure another book to have really finished the story!" As they continued to stare in disbelief and embarrassment that I was actually related to them, I whipped out Mario's laptop.

"What are you doing?" Mario asked.
"Reviewing the book online!"
"Oh my gosh! You must be kidding me! Let it go!"

Of course I didn't let it go. I found the book review site the author it was on. I was smart and didn't review the book until I cooled down but I didn't feel as bad when I found scads of other people who shared the same feelings I did. Here are my thoughts on the book (hormonal free).

VEEEERRRRYYY slow beginning.
Typical outcome with the situation with the characters.
A lot of background information that wasn't necessary.
After about the 1st 150 pages the characters became more interesting and storyline more intriuging.

Keep in mind....this is the 1st book this woman has ever written. I think I will give her the benefit of the doubt and read the sequel.

No comments: