Friday, October 9, 2009

Enlighten yourself....please.

This week I spent two whole work days at a training on Medicare. We learning the ins and outs, plans, restrictions and just about everything that would have you utterly confused and somewhat shocked. The following statement is no exaggeration...after two days learning about Medicare, with limited breaks and sitting in a chair that looked somewhat comfortable (BUT WASN'T) I felt as thought I had been bound and tortured.

I felt somewhat there yet somewhere far off in a daze. My back ached and I have been experiencing Round Ligament Pain which is NO fun and pregnancy related but I will spare you a gorey explanation.

If you know me you know I will do just about anything to encourage a laugh. I mean at the end of the day I was DESPERATE for someone to share something humorous, enlightening or at least something with a little shock value that would wake me up. Here are few of those moments which came, few and far between.

I learned Cola is not just another name for soda but it also means Cost Of Living Adjustments.

There was recently a 65 year old woman who gave birth to a live baby...yea a real human baby. This took place in Knoxville and she called Medicare to see what it would cover. Unfortunately the supervisor was astonished and said he would have to get back with her...because he had NEVER heard of this before. Medicare actually did cover the costs...lucky her.

We had one session on fraud, which apparently is really big. Here are three hysterical fraud cases. Sometimes doctors will over charge Medicare for things they didn't actually do because if the people aren't paying cost they don't check their statements and the doctor never gets caught.
A foot doctor billed Medicare for a procedure he had performed on 10 toenails but the man only had one foot...LOL! Too bad for the doctor the patient read his statement and turned him into Medicare fraud division.

A back doctor who specialized in a 1 hour treatment reported he had done 36 1 hour treatments in 1 day...not sure what clock he was running on but DUH there are only 24 hours in one day. BUSTED!

Another man who cut his finger and needed stitches was billed for an ambulance ride and resuscitation. Yeah, that thumb really needed that!

I loved how my seat partner summed the whole class up by slipping me a note, which read: In other words, if you don't have insurance move to Canada or the UK!

No comments: