Monday, October 5, 2009

Rookie Parents??

I've been doing some thinking lately. You know, sometimes I just can't help but to think that I may possibly have this parenting thing down pat. Sunday was one of those days.



My gracious husband thought he would do Dalen and I a favor by letting us sleep in. The latest Dalen EVER sleeps is like 7:15. I was awakened by grins and giggles at 9 am! Our church starts at 10! YIKES, I thought, I have got to book it! We are never going to make it on time. Can I just proudly say Dalen and I were both bathed, dressed (in unwrinkled clothes), in good moods, with pull-ups in tow and walking into church at 10:03 am. This means I had both of us dressed under an hour AND my hair was dry and my face was fully clothed in make-up! I started feeling like my blog title was old news....Rookie Parents?? Who? Me? NAH!



Dalen began to whimper at the sight of his Sunday School classroom and I had him calm in just seconds by allowing him to listen to the drums through praise and worship. He clapped, danced and worshiped to all of the songs. Yep, it's about that time...Rookie Parents is history. Just as P&W was ending I remembered Dalen would need to go potty and he did! With dads help he proudly peed on his throne.

After church Mario headed home with Dalen while I stopped in the drive-thru of Zaxby's to grab lunch. We had all eaten and were down for a nap by 1:30! I think my dreams were about what new URL my blog would be linked to. Hmm, maybe "Pro Parents"?? We were awake by 4 dressing for monthly prayer and leadership meeting. Dalen yelled he had to potty at one point and he did...all over the floor. He began to poop just as I had his pull up down and then he proceeded to bend over and touch his toes while going and shouting, "WIPE MOMMY, WIPE!" Not so pretty.

We finally arrived by 5 (on time) and Dalen was pretty good during prayer. Eventually he had to be re-placed in the cry room where he ventured on top a toy to bang loudly and wave hyperly at his beloved Daddy. The whole church was looking...Great...Rookie Parents? Maybe!

We then headed upstairs to eat and fellowship before meeting. Dalen ate pizza and cookies. He then told me I had to take him to the potty...NOW! I sat him him on his potty where he began to laugh as a stream of the worst smelling gas was released. I was just hoping everyone knew I hadn't detonated the atomic bombs that were sounding in the bathroom that is right by the kitchen. After sitting and sitting he peed a little but no luck with anything else. He asked if he could tell Daddy he pottied and I told him ONLY if he WHISPERED it. Who was I kidding!? He pranced down the room "whispering" Daddy, I pooted! Daddy, I pooted! I am sure the whole church and neighbors heard his obnoxious and proud confession.

By the end of the night I realized I will never again see a day without a challenge. It may entail potty training, finances, manners, discipline or a million other things but something new will always challenge me...so as for now and probably always, I think we will stay Rookie Parents.



A Few Recent Pictures of Dalen

New Spiffy b-day outfit

Sweet Sundays!


No more nightmares for Dalen!



He loves Apple Juuuushhh!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't you love it when you feel like a parent rock star? :) And by the way, I'm loving baby girl's name. Beautiful choice! And you are right. Who cares what anyone else thinks!