Monday, October 12, 2009

Spirituality Part 1: Jesus On The Mainline

I have come to realize, there will be a million talks in our home of Jesus and religion and His word. My goodness, Dalen is barely two and he is already inquiring about spiritual things. Last night was particularly funny...

Dalen started getting super sleepy so I told him he could call anyone he wanted to say nite, nite. I was literally already thumbing through my phone to call my Dad because he is ALWAYS Dalen's 1st pick. I was sweetly surprised when Dalen said he wanted to call Jesus. I began to lightly laugh and explained that you can't call Jesus because he has no phone number. Hmm, was this the correct thing to say? In all honesty it is true! I find myself taking the shortened route to answer or explain spiritual things. I think I am all together humbled God has entrusted me to be a spiritual guide and I have to admit...I didn't think I would be explaining things this early! But everytime I take a shortcut I realize I am doing my son and myself an injustice. The Holy Spirit is helping me even now explain these somewhat confusing and hard to grasp concepts about a God so near yet because of his complexity he is so far from our own understanding.

After telling Dalen he didn't have a phone number or a phone, I realized that was not a good explanation. I think the God of the universe, who walks on golden streets could have access to a phone but then I explained thats the great thing about God, you don't have to call him up you just tell him whatever you want him to know because he is always with us. Dalen began to look all around the room and obviously realize with his eyes he couldn't see anyone but myself and his dad there. Oh God, please help! I think may have to explain your omnipresence to a two year old; I will surely scar him for life!

After looking around Dalen responded with, "ok"! Wow, thank you Holy Spirit! I think as parents, we too often shy away from these topics for many reasons.

1) Because we don't fully understand God ourselves.
2) We don't know the word like we should.
3) We forget the Holy Spirit is there to guide us and direct with these topics.

Let God and His spirit guide you today and always so that others may understand Him deeper.

No comments: