Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Follow The Leader

Going back through my previous posts, I realized I have thought about so much lately but I have strictly been blogging about motherhood. So, here's to all of the readers who like it when bloggers spice things up a little by sharing some thoughts on something different, than the same old stuff.

I've been thinking a lot about leadership lately. What makes a good leader? How do you become a good leader? Can you learn leadership skills or is it something you are born with? I have come to the conclusion that just because you are the "head" doesn't mean you are a "leader".

While I believe there is certain criteria that makes a good leader, I think it's safe to say that if someone is following you, you are a leader. Forget a fancy explanation or an intellectual definition, leaders are individuals who have followers. I'm not so much interested in the title or definition of "leader". I am more so interested in the characteristics of a good leader. I want to be a leader who leads people towards purpose, calling, fulfillment and success. If you study the history of leaders you can find that there have been many "leaders" who have led multitudes to destruction, failure and even to their own death. With that in mind, we must be careful who we follow.

Successful leaders, lead others while following God.
The foundational element to being a good leader is knowing that you will never lead any one to a place worthwhile, if you are leading them somewhere without the direction of God. We must acknowledge John 1:1 and Psalm 119:105 with the realization that God is the only one who can adequately direct us in the way we should go. Leaders who lead others without following God, are leading others in the arms of destruction. These leaders refuse to recognize the influence they have on the direction of their follower's lives. They not only steer their own life irresponsibly but steer the direction of others lives as well.

Successful leaders never make excuses because they are too busy taking responsibility.
There are plenty of people in the world who aren't doing what they said they would do but I can assure you a leader's word will be their action. Leaders will find a way when there is no map and try again when their previous attempt leads to failure. One thing is for certain, a leader is not one to end their failed attempts at success with excuses. They will try over and over until they have succeeded.
I know so many people who attempted something and they weren't pleased with the outcome. When a leader isn't pleased with the outcome they stop and reflect upon what THEY could have done differently or how THEY will approach the situation again until they succeed. This is taking responsibility. Individuals who aren't leaders are too busy making excuses or blaming others for failure. Non-leaders quit after one failed attempt, leaders keep trying until they succeed. Leaders are driven by failure to succeed, non-leaders are driven by failure to quit.
A few months ago I was so angered and frustrated by our local newspaper. Our young adult ministry had a huge event coming up and after many calls to the local paper I was transferred to the same woman who was over printing church ads. This lady was never in her office-EVER! In fact, I called for 11 straight business days until FINALLY she responded to my messages and e-mails. I had many people tell me you did what you could, she is a bad employee, and so on. I knew that my failed attempts were only a reflection of me if I quit but if I kept trying they were a bad reflection of her work ethic. So, I kept trying and FINALLY I succeeded. The event was printed in the paper!
This is what leaders do. They find a way. They take on the responsibility of a task and don't quit until its complete.

Successful leaders only communicate what they have prepared and only prepare what God has communicated.
For all who attend church reading this, how many of you know a few pastors who need this passed on to them? There is nothing more frustrating than a pastor or communicator of any kind for that matter who rambles on and on about absolutely nothing! UGH! The only thing rambling reveals is how unprepared you are. If you haven't prepared, don't communicate! There are plenty of other people who will take the opportunity to communicate to God's people in a responsible manner. If you haven't prepared the most irresponsible thing to do is try to communicate anyway.
Why is it that so many leaders (esp. pastors) think they HAVE to speak every week? Responsible leaders and pastors have developed enough humility to disown their pulpits and podiums because they have realized that the pulpit and podium they stand behind isn't theirs at all-it's God's. If we could realize we are guest speakers for God we would be a lot more apt to allow others the opportunity to communicate when we haven't prepared.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post Megan. I really enjoyed reading it, especially now that I've realized one of my spiritual gifts is leadership. And I think your motherhood posts are great too. :)