Sunday, February 7, 2010

High Demand

I can't believe I forgot all of the little details of having a newborn. I guess you try to embrace the beautiful and forget the ugly. Last night was the absolute worst night of my life. I realized that I am in high demand. Dalen wants mommy, Cola needs mommy. I am trying so hard to do everything and of course, that is just not possible especially when you have a healing incision.

Yesterday was the first day we were together all day and night. There were times yesterday when 3/4 of our family were crying all at once and no I am not talking about Mario. ha! Things were looking amazing yesterday when Cola stayed awake for like four straight hours. We thought this surely meant she would sleep a good part of the night, oh how we were wrong! We were so very wrong. We were up every 30 minutes at least once until 4:30 am. Ladies, who don't have supportive husbands I don't know how you do it. I honestly don't and I pity you like crazy!

The worst part of the night was when Dalen woke up at 12:30 am screaming for me. He did this again twice later too. I tried to get in there as fast as I could before everyone else woke up. Too late. I stood over his crib rubbing his back and wiping his tears. He is having an awful time adjusting. Mario told me he would trade places with me but Dalen only wanted me. I stood so long that finally I decided to just plop down in the floor-the HARDwood floor. HUGE mistake. I don't know how long I sat there with my right hand smashed into Dalen's crib bars (so that he could hold it) but I do know when I woke up, I had a string of drool hanging from my mouth to my left knee, which also supported my left elbow and my left elbow propped my head. My forehead was leaned into the wooden crib bars and I had two bright red lines running down it.

I was beautiful, let me assure you-JUST BEAUTIFUL! That was the least of my worries. I began to look around that dark and cluttered room and realized I was stuck. There was absolutely no way I could get up without help. My medicine had definitely worn off at this point and the only thing I could think of was to grab hold of Dalen's crib and pull myself up but I knew it would hurt so bad and I was instructed not to pull or strain and I would probably wake him. If I called for Mario then not only would one of us be awake we would all four be awake. So I sat there. I sat and sat and sat. I cried and prayed and eventually got on all fours and somehow (it's really all still a blur) got up to a standing position. The last time I closed my eyes was at 4:30 am and I didn't wake up until 9. That was amazing.

I felt horribly guilty when I learned that Mario had to get up with Dalen at 6:30 am and when I walked throughout our house it was spotless. The living room had been picked up, clothes in the wash, refrigerator cleaned out and kitchen organized. I do have an amazing husband. Of course, with two babies and us the house is back a wreck but I guess that is the way it goes. Those post pregnancy emotions have settled in and the rainy dark weather hasn't helped but it's just another part that you endure until it's over. We have had great friends and a wonderful church and family that have brought us food. Am I seriously going to lose any weight? Haha! Everything has been great in that area.

Pray for little Dalen. I have been at a loss how to deal with him but I guess it's the effort that counts. Also, pray for Cola she has been spitting up an awful lot and seems to have bad stomach aches. I'm not sure if it's something with my breastmilk or if she is just getting used to eating. Also, pray I can go to Dalen's Valentine's Day party at school. And help me thank God for such an awesome husband who is as hands on as they come.

No comments: