Thursday, February 4, 2010

Little Lady

At 8:07 am on Wednesday, the earth stood still as I laid eyes on my "Little Lady" for the first time. I can not complain about my c-section or anything. God allowed me to have a calming peace-only a few tearful moments beforehand-and the c-section went smoothly.

I would MUCH rather have a vaginal delivery and be totally surprised by a baby's arrival. I was taken to the operating room at about 7:30 am and was in the company of GREAT nurses and who I consider to be one of most amazing doctors on the planet. Just before they began cutting they stuck me all over my abdomen to make sure I was good and numb. I assured them my lower abdomen was completely numb but right under my rib cage needed more time. The lady making sure I was numb tilted my bed a little back so that the medicine could run higher. It seemed almost instantly that I began gasping for breath, although I was breathing fine. I felt as though I was smothering and expressed this in a panicked way (no I didn't cuss but I tell ya-I was surely close!). Because the medicine makes you lose feeling and control of your muscles it feels as though you aren't breathing-you are. They fixed the problem very quickly by tilting my bed down so that the medicine could run back down my body. After that I began throwing up horribly. Those are the only two things I can really say were not fun to deal with.

A great team of nurses and doctors were right there fixing everything. My husband wasn't allowed in the room with me for the spinal, throw-up episode or smothering feeling. I hated that but the wonderful nurses were very comforting. I felt as though she was pulled out in no time and I only waited a second to hear that beautiful cry. For all of you moms, I know you can agree that is the only time you will ever pray your baby will scream it's little lungs out and buddy she did! She screamed and screamed and screamed. The baby was 6 pounds and 3 ounces, 19 1/2 inches long and a beautiful copycat image of Dalen.

When Mario brought her to me I looked over began to cry and laugh and all that would come out was, "Hey, little lady! Hey, little lady." And she is, little and a lady. I'm not sure but I think the nickname will stick.
Dalen has done exceptionally well. He was very timid the morning I delivered and wouldn't really come near me in my hospital bed. I think he was very nervous but after his cousin Livi arrived I am told he livened up just fine. He loves to pinch the baby's cheeks and poke her eyes. He is learning and I am praying for patience. Because Cola cried so much after being delivered, he looked at my family and asked, "Where's my sister's mommy?" My family explained, "Her mommy is your mommy." My sister told me he said, "No, she not toming (coming) home with us." Tomorrow he will learn differently. I think the next few weeks and months we will all be learning a lot.
Here is the first picture of me and Mario with her. We both wore yellow and all of you girly girls will be so proud that I made a special trip to the nursery to ask for a yellow bow to match her outfit. I am learning it's not that I don't like bows, I just don't like the MASSIVE ones.
A close up of her yellow bow.
Mommy and baby about 15 minutes after she was born!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats to you and your family! I teared up reading that! She is beautiful and I love the yellow bow!