Thursday, January 8, 2009

Moms Nurturing Moms

Today was our first Moms Nurturing Moms meeting for 2009! Today's topic raised interesting questions and made me think of many debatable issues. Tara Waldrop (lady in charge) had a panel of moms who homeschool their children. I do wish there were moms who chose public school and private school so that you could hear more from other sides...but there may have been a cat fight. JUST KIDDING! But seriously, I found myself seeing a new side of homeschooling and being a little disturbed by a few ideas and practices of homeschooling moms. I never realized how sensitive this subject could be until I heard a few people discussing it afterwards.
One of the mom homeschools 9 children. They are all hers. Two of which are dislexic and one is down syndrome. WOW! Can we give her a golden trophy or something?! But I have some very strong doubts all of these children (who range from 1st grade to 11th grade) receive a proper education all in the same room. I mean is that possible?? She says it is.
The other mom has 5 children and another on the way. Her youngest is 20 months old. She did at one point state that her 20 month will lay where she is laid and sometimes her children hold the baby while learning. I personally feel this baby is being served an injustice. A baby should be a baby. It should enjoy baby things and I seriously doubt a baby enjoys being a classroom of 4 other siblings all day.
I have great respect for women who homeschool their children. I know it is not easy and agree with them both that to do a great job you must be called to do it. I am NOT. One other thought they had disturbed me too. They said life skills go a lot further than educational skills. I think while recieving a good education you in return develop life skills and as you develop life skills you become more educated. I do think life skills are important but whether you like it or not we live in a society where you need education. There are plenty of statistics to prove it. I think emphasizing one of these over the other is dangerous.
I can't help but to wonder...if these moms are with their children all day everyday when do they develop any type of independence or chance to live without mommy? Just a few thoughts that stirred...I do have a great respect for someone who has the patience to do this.

No comments: