Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Peace. And. Quiet.

Since 9:00 all I have heard is the soft buzz of our heater breathing warm air. I am warm, comfortable and still. Parent's Day Out picked back up today, after a loooong Christmas and New Year's Break. Honestly, I didn't realize how long its been since I have had total peace. No phones ringing, no dirty diapers, no husband asking questions....just me in the stillness of the day. Thank you God.
Yesterday, was certainly the most trying day of my life. Does anyone remember the old Step By Step epidsode where the Mom is reading the book What To Do When Your Baby Hates You?Unfortunately, I remember the episode quite vividly except for the part that says what to do! Of course, yesterday began with a fit because Dalen's precious daddy left. After arriving to work it was one fit after another. (These fits occur for no reason whatsoever.) While on the phone with Dalen's babysitter he decided to throw a fit and go tossing our table settings at the store. I hang up quickly and run after him. He then darts the front of the store and I follow. I fall pretty hard on my left wrist and just lay in the floor shocked for a second. I couldn't believe this just happened. (Luckily there wasn't anyone in front of our glass storefront.) Just as I look up Dalen is screaming with a huge glass vase in hand. I shout NO! and just as I do he chucks it as hard as his little arm can and it shatters everywhere. I put him in his playpin to clean the glass. He then proceeded to rip off the wall border while confined. Needless to say I am glad yesterday is over.
I am literally the ONLY individual Dalen does this to. He throws fits for no one but me (at least to this extent).
So needless to say today I am most thankful for peace and quiet. Something I have not had in a long, long time. Any suggestions on what to do with this behavior? Just for the record we spank, we scold, we ignore, we put Dalen in his playpen to timeout....none of this works.

No comments: