Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Preacher's wife

This is a rather honest post. I am usually more private about my personal feelings but I felt I could share a little from the heart.

I guess it hit me while driving the other day I am officially a "preacher's wife". A little overwhelming because I personally I don't feel that I fit the traditional mold for that. Maybe thats a good thing?

When we interviewed for the position Mario has at Grace Community, I made one vow to the council: that we would be teachable. We are young and inexperienced, yet called for God's work. My prayer is always, "God teach us something today." Here is what I have learned so far as a preacher's wife.

1. The more you learn, the more you realize how much you DON'T know.
I think this is the 1st step towards humility. Pride is learning and thinking you know more instead of realizing there is still more to learn and more you don't know. Pride is definitely man's denial that he needs to learn more.

2. Ministry is NOT for the lazy.
With the societal issues we are facing, ministers and their wives must constantly be in prayer, led by the spirit and decrease their self in every move they make. The issues and questions that ministers are experiencing today are so unreal I don't think we could even begin to have answers for them. Direction in these areas must come from God.

When God has truly called you to do something, you will see to it that it is done (with or without the help of others). This means more labor, extra work hours and hard sacrifices.

3. Rewards aren't always instantaneous or visible.

If you think of jobs where a lot of labor and hands on are required, it always takes time to see results. For example, a gardener can spend months waiting on results from crops he planted...and sometimes he may never see results. The most important part of growing crops is tilling the ground and planting the seed.

Sometimes our job isn't to witness the outcome, our responsibility is prepare someone or something for the harvest. Preparation is the most grueling of that process.

4. You must be cautious of biased prayers.
God's word is clear that he will do exceedingly above what we could ask or think. So why do we limit what he does or how he does them? When God calls us we must be very cautious to be open to his will and pray for his will. Our selfish desires begin to pray for things we want or things we see, when really God intended things to be radically different.

2 comments:

anna starks said...

Meagan, this is Anna Starks from North Cleveland church and I just wanted you to know that I read your blogs all the time and enjoy them so much. You have such a gift for writing I really think you should consider that for a career. You make me laugh and cry both at the same time. You are an amazing mother and wife and I think you will make the best preachers wife ever!!! Anna

Mario Hood said...

Awesome, babe... love your insight.