Sunday, January 31, 2010

Men.

I love men. I love males. God made men. We must not hate them. Without men, none of us would exist.

These are some of the thoughts I have been chanting in my mind over and over, the last few days just so I can channel out some of the frustrations I have with that lovely gender we know as males. It is true-I do love men but there is no mistaking the fact that when they try relate to us women you are left convinced they are the most ignorant beings on the planet. Bless their hearts when they try to be encouraging you are usually left discouraged the most.

Let me just a share a few of my frustrations about men. I promise you, if one more man makes the comment that, "you will be fine" after hearing this baby will come via c-section I am going to punch him out, strap him to a gurney myself and when he wakes I will hold a power saw above him and explain to him that I will be sawing him in half, removing a vital organ from his abdomen, and then detaching a LIVE being from that organ and that he will be WIDE awake for the whole thing. Uh-huh, yes gentlemen, now are you realizing why "fine" is not an appropriate term to use when responding to a woman having a c-section? Besides, who the heck wants to be just fine? How about a "you are such a strong woman and you are going to do great!" or "I'll be praying for peace and for your doctor" or even a "Oh, wow" yeah that would do guys! But shrugging it off like I am talking about a common cold...TOTALLY unacceptable.

Come on boys, get with the program and take a few pointers. Let's switch things up a little bit. Let your mind soar and imagination run with the wind...you are laying on a gurney and you are WIDE awake and there is a doctor holding a scalpel and he is about to perform a vasectomy. Do you want your wife and church and friends telling you oh it's no big deal or they do them all the time or you will be fine? Uh no you want someone holding your hand, sympathizing the matter, and wiping your tears when you cry because I promise you-YOU WOULD if it were you. Yeah, now we're talking!

And if a woman ever tells you they are having a c-section...DO NOT ASK WHY! That is so none of your business, rude, invasive and I promise in most cases your appetite would be ruined for weeks just at the thought of why some women have to go this route. They key is sympathizing! Recognize the seriousness of the matter or acknowledge all the procedure entails but don't ever ask why! Good Lord! I am living life, not sharing my life story on Maury Provich here!

When women see a very pregnant woman they say things like, "Getting close! You have to be ready!" Men say, "Dang, I know you are ready to have that baby?" Uh, no, you don't KNOW anything! While you are chowing on chili dogs and watching Saturday filled football games, I am enduring heartburn, gas, urinating twice an hour and listening to sound breathing from my husband and son during the night because I am too miserable to sleep!

I have a great husband. I mean, he is great and I love him to death. But honestly I have about packed my bags this week. When we were snowed in and I was trying to explain to him I couldn't help but to pace back and forth and be so anxious to get out of our house, his response was, "Well, gosh babe. Just relax! Sleep or read a book!" My response was, "Well, Mario, if ya thought I could just relax do ya think I'd even be having this conversation with you? And do you think if I could just sleep I would be up pacing the floors every night?" It is NOT that easy. This morning I said to him, "I can't do this. I am going to cry." Then he looks at me and says, "Huh, do what?" I explain that I just can't make it until Wednesday. Then he responds, "Megan, please. That's only like three days." Uh wrong response. The correct response would have been, "Thank you for enduring thus far! Thank you for giving me another beautiful baby in just three days. I know it seems like a long time but I am here to do whatever it takes to make you comfortable in the meantime." I mean really-three days! That's like 72 hours and if I pee on average twice an hour that's like 144 more trips to the bathroom! Uh-huh, now you see all the details you overlook by being quick to speak?

Ok, so this blog is totally exaggerated in hopes maybe someone can laugh at the differences between genders. My husband is great and no, I did not really almost move out this week. You really do have to know me to understand my humor but hopefully this blog will make all of us think. Just because something is normal doesn't make it peaceful. Just because someone may feel alone doesn't mean you should act as though you know where they are or what they are feeling but rather be in tune with the Holy Spirit to encourage. I know I lack in this area. I want to be better though. I feel as a Christian it's our duty to relate to the needs, fears, frustrations of others and just because you haven't been there doesn't mean you can't relate. I think we so often mistake relating to others for being in their shoes at one time or another but relating can mean simply listening, praying with someone, sending a card-relating with someone in a way that let's them know even though you may not know from experience, you care.
I am so ready!

Dalen and Livi at church.

Dalen loves cupcakes!
Writing a letter.

No comments: